Last week I updated 1Password to version 8 on my MacBook Pro, however, obtaining the download from 1Password.com proved more challenging than expected. Having implemented two-factor authentication on my account my login requested the code, I entered the code within the app only to be rejected. What the? Tried again thinking time had expired – same result. I checked my other authenticator apps and noticed 1Password within Microsoft Authenticator, however, same result; this was not going well.
In the end, I was forced to use my iPhone 1Password app to disable two-factor authentication on the account. I had initially sought support from 1Password, however, their list of questions I needed to answer I had no ability as the account holder of responding to at least half; thank Google in the end for the app’s ability to disable things.
Being on leave a few weeks, I hadn’t been using the MacBook Pro terribly much, so this morning when I went to use Google Chrome I was presented with a tab requesting authentication to my 1Password account. This ordinarily wouldn’t be an issue, however, another tab and another and another kept appearing every other second. I tried to gain access to Chrome’s extensions with a view to disabling 1Password within, however, as it opens within another tab, this kept getting covered by another authentication tab before I could access anything — annoying to the max.
In order to regain a functional Google Chrome I was forced once more to disable two-factor authentication. I honestly wonder whether 1Password’s implementation of this security mechanism is that great, certainly their extensions need further work if this morning’s experience is anything to go by.