This week in our office meeting one team decided to drop a bomb on me, in a committee meeting they announced content for a major section of a website would be live on September 1 before having first checked with me on that timing; I’m only responsible for delivering after all. I’d previously built one section for demonstration, this taking 1.5 days.
To add to my workload, this week we decided to migrate our newsletter from Campaign Monitor to Mailchimp, purely because the latter offered our Director her desired table of contents feature. So, I’ve also had to build one final newsletter in Campaign Monitor, trial the same in Mailchimp, and build all this new content.
The WebCMS decided to pick this week to be an asshole once more, oh thanks. Ever since migrating to Microsoft Azure it has periodically decided to hissy fit and kick us out regularly as we edit; it must desire to be a Mac 😂 As I started to build content I was getting kicked out every 10 minutes, it was enormously frustrating.
In the end I have to creating the content within the WebCMS and shifted to creating inside of Dreamweaver, later returning to the WebCMS to cut and paste the HTML as I could do so much more quickly. This approach worked far better, and the WebCMS seemed to prefer it too, not kicking me out as often. Overall it lengthened my development time when compared to an uninterrupted build, but given how fractured my build experience was becoming I’m thinking I’ve probably come out in front.